Malagueta Pepper, Tomato and Coconut Sauce
(Molho de Pimienta Malagueta, Tomate e Coco)
Yield 8 portions
- 1¼ tsp. Fresh green malagueta peppers
- 1 Tbsp. Red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. Dendê oil, (good quality)
- ¾ lb. Yellow onion, minced
- 2 tsp. Fresh ginger, grated
- 1 cup Tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup Coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- If using fresh malagueta peppers, remove the stems and steep the peppers in vinegar for 24 hours.
- In a small skillet, heat the oil over low heat, add the onion, and sauté until it is translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Drain the peppers and add them to the pan, stirring from time to time until they become limp and mushy.
- Add tomatoes and coconut milk and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add the ginger and cook for another minute.
- Add the salt and stir, pressing down on the mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Cool and cover.
Join the conversation...